Our blog has moved!

Dear loyal LDSWBR follower:

Happy News - LDSWBR has a new home! Please come visit us, tell us what you think, and let's talk books. Happy reading!

- Shanda, Sheila, Mindy, and Hillary

You should be automatically redirected in 8 seconds. If not, visit
http://www.ldswomensbookreview.com
and update your bookmarks.

Monday, May 3, 2010

My Ridiculous, Romantic Obsessions by Becca Wilhite

Title: My Ridiculous, Romantic Obsessions

Author: Becca Wilhite

Publisher: Shadow Mountain

Published Date: Feb 2010

ISBN#: 978-1-60641-596-2

Paperback; 181 pages


I was waiting for weeks on hold to get this book from the library. As soon as I brought it home, I couldn't help but "peek" by reading the first few pages, which then turned into the first few chapters. I snuck in more reading every time I found a few minutes and quickly finished it up the next day.

I enjoyed Becca Wilhite's first novel, Bright Blue Miracle, a Whitney Award Finalist for 2009, so I was really looking forward to My Ridiculous, Romantic Obsessions. I wasn't disappointed.

Sarah is a college student who decides to start attending the same school as her friend, Chel, after learning about the amazingly gorgeous TA in the History of Western Art class. She doesn't consider herself the kind of girl that anyone would be interested in dating, a belief she formed after a heartbreaking experience in high school, but that doesn't stop her from enjoying the scenery, as it were. Sarah also has a secret she hopes nobody ever discovers - she reads paperback romances.

Certain people and experiences become part of Sarah's romantic imaginings as she moves through the story, yet Sarah is never the leading lady in those fantasies. She turns around after class the first day and comes face to face with one of the hottest guys she's ever seen. She's surprised when he takes her photo with his phone to put with her number as they gather contact information for study group. His interest in her continues to baffle her, especially when he's still interested after several nerve-induced embarrassing moments for Sarah.

When Ben (the hot guy) asks Sarah to accompany him to his sister's wedding, Sarah agrees. While dancing, Ben and Sarah experience an "almost kiss" that had my toes curling- definitely appropriate but oh-so-nice. Ben works hard to show his interest in Sarah, but she's still afraid and unbelieving, just waiting for the time to come when Ben realizes she's all wrong for him and leaves. Sarah learns something about Ben that breaks the "perfect" image she has of him, and she isn't quite sure how to deal with it.

Unfortunately, her reaction to his struggle combined with her reserve toward him because of fear and her feelings of unworthiness, convince Ben that Sarah isn't as interested in their relationship as he is. When he confronts her, Sarah is unsure what to do or say, and Ben leaves. By the time Sarah realizes how she hurt him and what needs to be done, it isn't easy getting Ben to trust her again. In fact, it's very nearly impossible. Sarah must face the fact that she might have ruined what she had with Ben forever.

Before romance lovers panic, there is a happy ending, but Sarah has to really work for it, which I found both realistic and frustrating (I really wanted a happy ending). The romantic tension was very nice. I found myself relating to Sarah's doubts about being "girlfriend material," though at times I wanted to reach through the pages, shake her and say, "Don't you realize how men feel about red-heads? And look at those natural curls!"

If I had realized how much I would like My Ridiculous, Romantic Obsessions, I would have bought it instead of waiting so long for it at the library. I highly recommend this book to all those who love a good romance.

My Rating: 4 stars (really liked it!)

Would I-
  • read it again? Yes. I'm already looking forward to that, in fact.
  • recommend it? I have and do.
  • read more by Becca Wilhite? Definitely! I hope to see My Ridiculous, Romantic Obsessions as a Whitney finalist next year.

2 comments:

  1. This is definitely on my to-read list. I'm a romance junkie and this one sounds like an absolute winner!

    ReplyDelete