Our blog has moved!

Dear loyal LDSWBR follower:

Happy News - LDSWBR has a new home! Please come visit us, tell us what you think, and let's talk books. Happy reading!

- Shanda, Sheila, Mindy, and Hillary

You should be automatically redirected in 8 seconds. If not, visit
http://www.ldswomensbookreview.com
and update your bookmarks.

Thursday, May 6, 2010

"Being Sixteen" by Allyson Braithwaite Condie


"Being Sixteen" surprised me. I really enjoyed it. Not that I was expecting not too, I actually didn't know what to expect. What I liked right away, was how if someone was reading this book that was not of our faith, there are some explanations of our beliefs without being too obvious.
Juliet Kendall is the oldest sister at home, we start her story on her 16th birthday. Right at the beginning, I could tell she is a smart, confident girl who knows her beliefs, but things seemed almost too perfect. She has two older sisters. Emma is serving a mission in Spain, and Maddie is away at college. Carly is 14 and starting her freshman year. Juliet has everything going for her; the start of new relationship, lots of great friends, and a chance to play basketball on the varsity team. But, as like many of us, her trials come slowly, then linger, and then seem to stay for awhile. Little by little events take place that really challenge her testimony, and her self worth. Carly has a secret that effects them all, but Juliet takes it the hardest. And while Carly hides away and struggles, Juliet, while worried about Carly, hides as well. Not just from friends, but her Heavenly Father. Feeling she failed her sister, really takes her down a self destructive path. It just takes stopping the small and simple things that prevented her from asking Heavenly Father for help.
As I read Juliet's journey, I sympathized with what the girls were going through. I didn't go through what Carly did, or Juliet for that matter, but I have three daughters, and I can only pray that they stay strong in the gospel and will make good choices. It's a great story for anyone with daughters.
There was one thing that I felt was unresolved, but this particular event helped Juliet move on to others things.

My rating: 4 stars

I would read it again and recommend it to others

Will I read other book by this author? Yes!

"Being Sixteen"

Author: Allyson Braithwaite Condie

Published: 2010

Publisher: Deseret Book Company

ISBN-13: 978-1-60641-233-6

Softcover: 249 pages

FTC FYI: Reviewed a free copy from the publisher which did not affect my review.

1 comment: