Our blog has moved!

Dear loyal LDSWBR follower:

Happy News - LDSWBR has a new home! Please come visit us, tell us what you think, and let's talk books. Happy reading!

- Shanda, Sheila, Mindy, and Hillary

You should be automatically redirected in 8 seconds. If not, visit
http://www.ldswomensbookreview.com
and update your bookmarks.

Wednesday, May 5, 2010

The Remarkable Soul of a Woman- Dieter F. Uchdorf


Hello Friends! It's me, Hillary-

Another non-fiction! –oh my! Oh wait, that's what I usually read…

Let me start off by saying that I was totally surprised by this book. I wasn't sure what to expect, but this wasn't it. Let me clarify- It is a beautiful book. I was not expecting gorgeous photographs. I was expecting fabulous quotes and short chapters that packed a punch- and I wasn't disappointed.

It took me literally 25 minutes to read this book. The chapters are short and easy to read. You'll even recognize some of the antedotes from previous conference talks.

One of the quotes I really liked was, "You may think you don't have talents, but that is false assumption, for we all have talents and gifts, every one of us. The bounds of creativity extend far beyond the limits of a canvas or a sheet of paper and do not require a brush, a pen, or the keys of a piano. Creation means bringing into existence something that did not exist before-colorful gardens, harmonious homes, family memoires, flowing laughter" It's definitely something to think about.

With the difficulty going on today with the economy, corruption in politics and overall pessimism, President Uchdorf quotes President Lorenzo Snow "When you find yourselves a little gloomy, look around you and find somebody that is in worse plight than yourself; go to him and find out what the trouble is, then try to remove it with the wisdom which the Lord bestows upon you; and the first thing you know, your gloom is gone, you feel light, the spirit of the Lord is upon you, and everything seems illuminated."

Overall- I think it is a beautiful book and would make an excellent Mothers Day gift. There is just something special about books that come from the first presidency.


 

FTC- FYI- publisher produced copy. Had no bearing on review.

1 comment:

  1. Great review, I was going to give this to my friend for her birthday. I can't wait to meet you :)

    ReplyDelete