Our blog has moved!

Dear loyal LDSWBR follower:

Happy News - LDSWBR has a new home! Please come visit us, tell us what you think, and let's talk books. Happy reading!

- Shanda, Sheila, Mindy, and Hillary

You should be automatically redirected in 8 seconds. If not, visit
http://www.ldswomensbookreview.com
and update your bookmarks.

Friday, May 14, 2010

Finding Daylight: How The Lord Works Through Our Disappointments

Title: Finding Daylight: How The Lord Works Through Our Disappointments

Author: Kimberly Webb

Publisher: Deseret Book

Published Date: 2007

ISBN#: 10:1-59992-038-7

Hard Cover; 90 pages

If you are a book-a-holic like I am, you may have the same habits that I do. For example, there are some books I may see and I will buy it even though it is not applicable to my life at the time. Then when something does happen, I have the help I need already sitting there on my bookshelf. This is the case with the book I am blogging about today.

Finding Daylight: How The Lord Works Through Our Disappointments,
by KimberlyWebb. It was first published in 2007 by Deseret Book.

Here is the blurb about the book:

"Life is filled with detours and dead ends. Oft-times our sincere desires to choose the right have led us down the path of failure. Sometimes even things we felt spiritually prompted to pursue can end in disappointment. Why is that? Are we meant to be discouraged? Do we even have the capacity to succeed?

The truth of the matter is that sometimes it suits God's purposes to let us fail. Out of the rich soil of spiritual yearning and disappointment can come some of life's most enduring victories. Instead of inglorious defeats, in God's hands these disappointments can become stepping-stones to deeper understanding, renewed commitment, and more meaningful successes.

They can also represent sacrifice to the Lord, who is willing to try our faith and sound the depths of our commitment. Whenever they occur, they lead us in directions we could not have anticipated without the Lord's guidance.

Finding Daylight is filled with deep spiritual insights gleaned from a careful reading of the scriptures and a prayerful examination of the Lord's hand in the author's personal experiences."


Though this book is only 90 pages long, it is powerfully packed with great spiritual insight. On the back cover of the book is a scripture that shows you the theme and spirit of this book,

"Therefore, continue your journey and let your hearts rejoice; for behold,and lo, I am with you even unto the end.".....D&C 100:12

The chapter titles also can show you what you will find in this book:

1. Stepping-Stones: When Failure Points the Way

2. Awaiting the Harvest: When Success is Delayed

3. "The Darkness is Past": When Failure Brings Change

4. A Holy Sacrifice: When Failure is Success

5. Walking on Water: Success through the Son of God


I found this book to be a good tool in working through problems in my life.It also showed me that so many things that happen to us are for our own good. At times it is hard to see this as we are going through our trials. I feel that great miracles can happen in our lives when we allow the Lord to help us.

I would like to end with a quote from the book:

"As mortals we develop our faith and capacities line upon line. A few successful steps followed by a fall are hardly failure-experience carries us forward. As we cry for the savior to rescue us, He will. He knows our level of faith, and He does not look way in disappointment at our weakness.As Elder Holland said,'Considering the incomprehensible cost of the Crucifixion, Christ is not going to turn His Back on us now." (Trusting Jesus, Deseret Book, 2003, 67)

Yes, there is daylight at the end of our dark hour. I am for grateful for the many things along the way that help me see and understand this.

Rating: 4 stars

Would I Recommend this Book? Yes

Will I Read it Again? Yes I will!




1 comment:

  1. Sounds like a book I need. I've been in a bit of a downward spin lately. :-(

    ReplyDelete