I am originally from Blackfoot, Idaho. I am the 3rd child of 4 kids. I have a Mom that read to/with us. I graduated from Idaho State University with a BA in Elementary Education & Early Childhood; with a minor in English and History. I have been teaching for 21 years: preschool (I taught Shanda's oldest two beautiful girls), Kindergarten, 1st and 2nd grade. I currently am living a very full life as a single Mom with two great kids at home and a classroom of 2nd graders at school. My favorite things to do (besides reading!!) are to blog, sing, play the piano, scrapbook, play with my kids and hang out with my family members. I am one of the original members of LDS Womens Book Review and love to podcast with my friends. I am actually doing some writing now and seeing some progress. I hope some day to be published. I think you don't get anywhere in life unless you dream BIG.
Of course every Summer, me and my kids participate in the summer reading program at the library. We also love to just hang out in our back yard and read chapter books out loud together. We also make our annual trip to Lagoon and have many family BBQ's with extended family. We also go camping, every year, up in the canyon, with another family and have a blast. We love to hike and watch Moose wander through our camping site. ;) All of us really want to go to Universal Studios new Harry Potter's Wizarding World in Florida. We are huge Harry Potter fans!! We are saving our money to go next summer.
Do you have a favorite summer food or drink? If so, are you willing to share the recipe?
I love to eat a lot of watermelon, cantaloupe, honeydew melon and strawberries. I love to eat food grilled on the BBQ. My favorite salad is one all of you probably know, Broccoli Salad.
4 cups fresh broccoli
1/2 cup sunflower seeds
1 cup golden raisins
1/4 lb. bacon, cooked and crumbled
1 cup red grapes
1 cup chopped celery
1/4 cup chopped green onions
1 cup low-fat Mayo or salad dressing
1/4 cup sugar
3 Tbsp. rice vinegar
Combine all ingredients. Mix dressing and combine with salad. Stir well and chill a few hours before serving.
What books are on your summer reading list?
I actually have over 50 books on my "to-read" list for the summer. I am not going to list all 50 :) ...but here are a few on the top of the pile: Mockingjay, City of Angels, Queen in Exile, Trapped, Spells, Wrong Number, Chocolate Roses, The Scarlet Lion, Imprints, Bran Hambric:The Fairfield Curse, When You Reach Me and Raven Speak. I am already in the middle of about 7 books right now, so they don't count on my official "to-read" list. I will be blogging about those and many others here at the LDSWBR blog and my other book review blog, Why Not? Because I Said So.
- Abish: Daughter of God by K.C. Grant
- TRAPPED by Ronda Gibb Hinrichsen
- The Road Show by Braden Bell
- Awakening Avery by Laurie Lewis
- Courting Miss Lancaster by Sarah M. Eden
- Summer in Paris by Michele Ashman Bell
- Hometown Girl by Michele Ashman Bell
- Alma the Younger by Heather (H.B.) Moore
- Queen in Exile OR The Guise of a Gentleman by Donna Hatch (winner's choice)
- The Silence of God by Gale Sears (book or audio- winner's choice)
- Dangerous Connections by Julie Coulter Bellon
- Blink of an Eye by Gregg Luke
- Critique of three chapters (up to 30 pages) from Nichole Giles
- Post a thoughtful comment on the Countdown to Summer 2010 author posts. Comments can be added on any of the author posts anytime during the contest period (June 1, 2010 through June 21, 2010). Only one comment per person per "Countdown to Summer" author post will be entered into the drawing. Feel free to comment more than once per post if you'd like, but only one comment will be accepted as an entry.
- Follow us on Twitter: @LDSWBR - then send us a direct message to let us know you want to be entered in the Countdown to Summer 2010 Contest. If you are already a follower you need to send us a direct message telling us you want to be included in the contest.
- Tweet about that day’s author post using the tweet message included in each author post. Send an email to ldswbr at gmail dot com with the link to your tweet. Only one tweet per day counts so no need to harass your friends :). LDSWBR must be able to see the tweet in order for you to get an entry into the contest.
- Tweet this message each day (one entry per day). Just copy and paste into your twitter message window to send it: LDSWBR Countdown to Summer 2010 at http://ldswbr.blogspot.com! Enter to win a $25 Amazon Gift Card & some great books! @ldswbr #ldswbr2010
- Follow LDSWBR on Facebook, then send an email to ldswbr at gmail dot com that you’d like to be entered into the Countdown to Summer 2010 Contest. If you already follow LDSWBR on Facebook, send us an email to let us know you’d like to be included in the contest.
- Blog about this contest on your blog in a post that includes the link to the LDSWBR blog, then send us the link to your specific blog post.
- LDSWBR reserves the right to decide what determines a "thoughtful" comment.
- Contest ends at 12:00 Midnight MDT on June 25, 2010. Drawing winners will have until 12:00 Midnight MDT on July 3, 2010 to claim their prize. After that time, another name will be drawn to receive the prize.
- Book prizes can only be shipped within the contiguous United States.