Our blog has moved!

Dear loyal LDSWBR follower:

Happy News - LDSWBR has a new home! Please come visit us, tell us what you think, and let's talk books. Happy reading!

- Shanda, Sheila, Mindy, and Hillary

You should be automatically redirected in 8 seconds. If not, visit
http://www.ldswomensbookreview.com
and update your bookmarks.

Thursday, January 14, 2010

Review of "Haunts Haven" By Joan Sowards



"Haunts Haven" includes on it's front cover, "An LDS Ghost Story". You wonder how the LDS and Ghost story can mix? Well, Joan Sowards does it in a very clever and surprising way. I missed the twist that came in the middle, though I should have seen it coming. I am getting ahead of myself here.

Let me give you a brief overview of the story of "Haunts Haven"...

"When Callie Wilford inherits a century-old inn in southern Arizona, locals tell her of a ghost who "guards" the inn. But Callie doesn't believe in ghosts, and she plans to turn the inn into a bed and breakfast. Then things start to happen - strange, spooky things - and she begins to wonder if there is some truth to the ghost stories. If that weren't bad enough, Callie discovers a mysterious grave in the cellar. As she confronts the inn's tragic secrets, she also faces her lonely past and learns to embrace her heritage. But it takes a handsome cowboy and a charming rancher to prove that Callie's long-guarded heart can love again."

[DSCF1594.JPG]

This is the first published novel for Joan Sowards and I was very impressed by her wonderful storytelling. I loved the very bright and somewhat colorful characters found in this book. The book seemed to have a nice flow to it, so it is an easy read. I really liked the main character, Callie, who was written so "real" you could relate to her.

I also really liked how Joan was able to weave several smaller stories, into the big story, without it being confusing. I also mentioned earlier about a twist. It is a great twist that simply surprised me and delighted me at the same time. I will not say more because I do not want to give anything away.

I know, if you want to read a different kind of love story filled with mystery and suspense, you will enjoy "Haunts Haven". I look forward to reading more of what Joan writes.

You can purchase this book at Amazon.com and now at Deseret Book.

I want to thank Amy Orton at Walnut Springs Press for the complimentary copy of this book. This one is a keeper and will be read again and again.

3 comments:

  1. Thank you Sheila for the great review on Haunts Haven, and especially for calling it a keeper!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are so welcome Joan. I really did like this story a lot. I really should have caught the twist coming, but it was such a fun surprise. Nice writing there!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the review. It sounds like a great book!

    ReplyDelete