Josi Kilpack is the author of ten novels. Her most recently published books, Lemon Tart and English Trifle, were both released in 2009. The next book in her culinary mystery series, Devil's Food Cake, will be out in March 2010.
Autographed copies are available for purchase through Josi's website: www.josikilpack.com. Non-autographed copies can be purchased online and in stores at Deseret Book.
Visit Josi on her blog: Sundial in the Shade.
LDSWBR: Josi, please share with us what holiday traditions you and your family participate in every year. Will you be starting any new traditions this Christmas?
JOSI: We are rather non-traditional, as in inconsistent. We'll do something one year, then never do it again for reasons that remain unknown. Some of the things have been really fun, but pressure sucks so I have set things up so that the expectations remain very low. It works.
One thing that sticks, however, is Christmas Eve dinner by candlelight. My sister was born on Christmas Day (Just FYI, If you're going to share a birthday with someone, don't have it be Jesus. He wins every time) and my mom started doing fancy dinners on Christmas Eve for my sister, since there was little hope of much celebrating for her on Christmas Day when everyone gets presents. It's stuck with my own family, so we have a nice meal by candlelight and always have English Trifle for dessert. The evening ends with carols around the tree and then it's off to bed. Doing dishes for an hour helps the kids give up on waiting to hear jingle bells. It's nothing terribly impressive, but it sticks in my children's minds and we all look forward to it each December.
LDSWBR: What books are on your Christmas wish list?
JOSI: Alma by Heather Moore (this is definitely one I want to own); Previously Engaged by Elodia Strain (also one I want to read again); Ender's Game (Never read it, but my daughter did and I think it's time I did too); Santa Maybe by Aubrey Mace (Started it on the booktour, need to get a copy and finish it).
LDSWBR: What books have you purchased/will you purchase as gifts for loved ones this Christmas?
JOSI: The Bronze Canticles series by Tracy and Laura Hickman for my oldest; My Fair Godmother by Janette Rallison for my 2nd daughter who only reads Janette; Not sure on my son--he's behind on all the good stuff I already own; Some Junie B. Jones for my 8 year old--we laugh our heads off.
LDSWBR: Thanks for taking the time to share with us, Josi. Have a Merry Christmas!
Do you plan activities specifically to help wear out the kids or help them fall asleep quickly on Christmas Eve? What activities have worked the best for you?
***Countdown to Christmas Contest***
LDSWBR will hold a drawing on Christmas Day for a $25 eGift Card from Deseret Book, as well as a variety of books being offered by some of the LDS authors that will be featured on the blog. Simply post a thoughtful comment on the Countdown to Christmas author posts to enter. Here are the rules:
- LDSWBR reserves the right to decide what determines a "thoughtful" comment.
- Only one comment per person per "Countdown to Christmas" author post will be entered into the drawing. This allows the potential for 24 entries per person at the end of the contest. Feel free to comment more than once per post if you'd like, but only one comment will be accepted as an entry.
- Contest ends at 12:00 Midnight MST on December 24, 2009. Drawing winners will have until 12:00 Midnight MST on December 31, 2009 to claim their prize. After that time, another name will be drawn to receive the prize.
- Book prizes can only be shipped within the contiguous United States.
- Loyalty's Web by Joyce DiPastena
- Hidden Branch by G.G. Vandagriff
- Altared Plans by Rebecca Talley
- A Modest Proposal by Michele Ashman Bell (includes a bonus copy of Michele's Christmas booklet, A Candle in the Window)
- Her Good Name by Josi Kilpack
- MISSING by Ronda Gibb Hinrichsen
- Famous Family Nights by Anne Bradshaw
- Love Letters of Joseph and Emma (autographed copy) by Angela Eschler
- Family Home Evening Adventures by Rebecca Irvine
- Counting the Cost by Liz Adair
- Shudder by Jennie Hansen
- Mormon Mishaps & Mischief by D. N. Giles & C. L. Beck
- Dawn's Early Light by Laurie (L.C.) Lewis
- The Fairy Thorn (brand new release!) by Dorothy Keddington