Our blog has moved!

Dear loyal LDSWBR follower:

Happy News - LDSWBR has a new home! Please come visit us, tell us what you think, and let's talk books. Happy reading!

- Shanda, Sheila, Mindy, and Hillary

You should be automatically redirected in 8 seconds. If not, visit
http://www.ldswomensbookreview.com
and update your bookmarks.

Wednesday, April 14, 2010

Hashbrown Winters by Frank L. Cole


Hark! Hillary here. It is Wednesday, therefore I must write.

Just an FYI- For those just DYING to hear/read more of me, I will have my blog, "It's me Hillary", coming soon! It will be a little bit of everything including but not limited to; books I've read, fun craft projects and family stuff/ideas/antics.



This week I read something new and different, for me anyway. I read a children's book (gasp). My second oldest daughter has resisted the sci-fi/fantasy craze, refusing to read about lightening rods or dementors. Due to such resisitance, I have had to do some searching. I found out that she really likes funny, ha-ha books. So the hunt of course led to "Diary of a Wimpy Kid", but there are only four of those, and she read each one in about three hours, so I really had to do some looking. In the process, I happened across "Hashbrown Winters," by Frank L. Cole.



"Hashbrown Winters" is a first novel for Frank Cole. He writes a charming, fun character with Hashbrown. Hashbrown AKA Flinton Deanderbow Winters-but no one calls him that- in fact no one in the school goes by their actual names except the girl he has a crush on, who's name happens to be "Misty", but as Hashbrown puts it "Misty was her real name and her nickname because that's what it felt like whenever she walked into a room." Anyway, so Hashbrown and his pals Snow Cone, Whiz and a bunch of other kiddos, work pretty hard to keep the school bully from beating up Hashbrown when an accident occurs involving the bully/man-child- whose "real" name is actually his name, Hambone, (hmmm, I guess there's two) and laugh out loud, entertaining chaos begins.




Frank tells a fun, cute story. It is a quick read! I read it in under an hour. I was not overly fond of how Whiz got his name and how he continually managed to keep it (I'm sure you can guess) BUT, this is a kid's book, so I imagine kids would find that funny. Oh wait, and I'm not a boy, and we all know that boys AKA men, think that bodily functions are funny. In spite of that, I will probably read the second book, Hashbrown Winters and the Mashimoto Madness. Overall, I think anyone who enjoys the Diary of a Wimpy Kid type book would really enjoy this one.





FYI-FTC- Library


No comments:

Post a Comment