Our blog has moved!

Dear loyal LDSWBR follower:

Happy News - LDSWBR has a new home! Please come visit us, tell us what you think, and let's talk books. Happy reading!

- Shanda, Sheila, Mindy, and Hillary

You should be automatically redirected in 8 seconds. If not, visit
http://www.ldswomensbookreview.com
and update your bookmarks.

Monday, December 21, 2009

Rachel Ann Nunes - Countdown to Christmas 2009

4 Days until Christmas!



Rac
hel Ann Nunes is the author of 29 books. Saving Madeline is her most recently published novel. Rachel's next book, Imprints, is scheduled for a March 2010 release.



Saving Madeline is available for purchase at Amazon and Deseret Book.

Visit Rachel's website: www.rachelannnunes.com, Rachel's Ramblings on her website (must be a member to see) and her blog: Rachel's Ramblings.

Listen to our podcast with Rachel at www.ldswomensbookreview.com.


LDSWBR: Rachel, what favorite holiday traditions do you and your family participate in each year? Will you be starting any new traditions this year?

RACHEL: On Christmas Eve we have a bubblegum blowing contest, which I always win (so far!). Then we turn out the electric lights, light every available candle in the house, and have a special dinner (with turkey and codfish dishes). The kids love the candles! Then we sing Christmas songs and talk about the meaning of Christmas, open our new Christmas pajamas and one present from a sibling. Then we change into our bathing suits and head for the hot tub, where we sing more songs at the top of our lungs so our neighbors can share the joy. There are other things we do, including sledding, gingerbread houses, treat-making, but we have the most fun on Christmas Eve.


LDSWBR: What books are on your Christmas wish list?

RACHEL: My husband got me a Kindle for Christmas, which I opened early so I could download a bunch of urban fantasy novels, which is a current phase I'm going through. Don't remember the titles (which are many and varied), but I read the first chapters, and if I'm hooked, I read it. The great thing about the Kindle is that I can buy and read books anywhere--in the car, at the tire shop, in the mall...


LDSWBR: What books have you purchased/will you purchase for loved one this Christmas? (Don't spoil any surprises!)

RACHEL: My children want books more than anything else (yay!), and my husband loves to read so I bought him some books too. Some of these are:

Syren (Septimus Heap, Book 5) by Angie Sage
The Gathering Storm (Wheel of Time) by Robert Jordan, Brandon Sanderson
Eyes Like Stars: Theatre Illuminata, Act I by Lisa Mantchev
The Amaranth Enchantment by Julie Berry
Princess of the Midnight Ball by Jessica Day George
Leven Thumps and the Ruins of Alder by Obert Skye
Mister Monday (Keys to the Kingdom, Book 1) by Garth Nix
Grim Tuesday (Keys to the Kingdom, Book 2) by Garth Nix
Drowned Wednesday (Keys to the Kingdom, Book 3) by Garth Nix
Sir Thursday (Keys to the Kingdom, Book 4) by Garth Nix
Lady Friday (Keys to the Kingdom, Book 5) by Garth Nix
Marco? Polo! (Time Warp Trio) by Jon Scieszka
Oh Say, I Can't See (Time Warp Trio) by Jon Scieszka
Summer Reading is Killing Me! (Time Warp Trio) by Jon Scieszka
Hey Kid, Want to Buy a Bridge? (Time Warp Trio) by Jon Scieszka
Me Oh Maya (Time Warp Trio) by Jon Scieszka
Sam Samurai (Time Warp Trio) by Jon Scieszka
See You Later, Gladiator (Time Warp Trio) by Jon Scieszka
You Can't, but Genghis Kahn (Time Warp Trio) by Jon Scieszka
The Riddle of Zorfendorf Castle (
Secrets of Droon #25) by Tony Abbott
The Chariot of Queen Zara (Secrets of Droon #27) by Tony Abbott
The Moon Dragon (Secrets of Droon) by Tony Abbott
Pirates of the Purple Dawn (Secrets of Droon #29) by Tony Abbott
In the Shadow of Goll (Secrets of Droon) by Tony Abbott
Escape from Jabar-loo (Secrets of Droon) by Tony Abbott
Queen of Shadowthorn (Secrets of Droon) by Tony Abbott
Flight of the Blue Serpent (Secrets of Droon) by Tony Abbott
Treasure of the Orkins (Secrets of Droon) by Tony Abbott
Moon Magic (Secrets of Doon Special Edition) by Tony Abbott
The Lost Empire of Koomba (Secrets of Droon) by Tony Abbott
In the City of Dreams (Secrets of Droon) by Tony Abbott
Orphanage by Robert Buettner
Semper Mars: Book One of the Heritage Trilogy by Ian Douglas
Rogue Clone by Steven L. Kent
The Clone Republic by Steven L. Kent


LDSWBR: Now that's a nice reading list! Kudos to you! Thanks for sharing with us, Rachel. Merry Christmas!


Rachel's family obviously loves series. What book series do you and/or your children enjoy? Do you wait until there are several books in a series published before starting to read, or do you anxiously await each book in a series and grab it as soon as it's published?


Don't forget to nominate your favorite 2009 books by LDS authors for Whitney Awards by December 31! Can't remember what you read? Visit the LDS Publisher blog for a list of books published by LDS authors in 2009.


***Countdown to Christmas Contest***


LDSWBR will hold a drawing on Christmas Day for a $25 eGift Card from Deseret Book, as well as a variety of books being offered by some of the LDS authors that will be featured on the blog. Simply post a thoughtful comment on the Countdown to Christmas author posts to enter. Here are the rules:

  • LDSWBR reserves the right to decide what determines a "thoughtful" comment.
  • Only one comment per person per "Countdown to Christmas" author post will be entered into the drawing. This allows the potential for 24 entries per person at the end of the contest. Feel free to comment more than once per post if you'd like, but only one comment will be accepted as an entry.
  • Contest ends at 12:00 Midnight MST on December 24, 2009. Drawing winners will have until 12:00 Midnight MST on December 31, 2009 to claim their prize. After that time, another name will be drawn to receive the prize.
  • Book prizes can only be shipped within the contiguous United States.
Books that have been generously donated by the author for drawing prizes:
  • Loyalty's Web by Joyce DiPastena
  • Hidden Branch by G.G. Vandagriff
  • Altared Plans by Rebecca Talley
  • A Modest Proposal by Michele Ashman Bell (includes a bonus copy of Michele's Christmas booklet, A Candle in the Window)
  • Her Good Name by Josi Kilpack
  • MISSING by Ronda Gibb Hinrichsen
  • Famous Family Nights by Anne Bradshaw
  • Love Letters of Joseph and Emma (autographed copy) by Angela Eschler
  • Family Home Evening Adventures by Rebecca Irvine
  • Counting the Cost by Liz Adair
  • Shudder by Jennie Hansen
  • Mormon Mishaps & Mischief by D. N. Giles & C. L. Beck
  • Dawn's Early Light by Laurie (L.C.) Lewis
  • The Fairy Thorn (brand new release!) by Dorothy Keddington
  • Torn Apart (signed copy) by Diony George
  • Pursued: A Maggie McKenzie Mystery by Lynn Gardner
Thank you so much!

6 comments:

  1. These postings make me so envious! I have a huge list of books to be read. Right now, being on a mission limits my time to read.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love Rachel Ann Nunes picture books. Me and my sisters have really liked Ally Carter's books. There are not many books my whole family reads.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ooohhh.. It depends on the series. I love the Fablehaven Series, Twilight series, Shannon Hales Books of Bayern, Percy Jackson, The Hunger Games..etc. I usually find good recommendations of books, read them, and then find out after that there is a sequel set to come out sometime in the next year! It makes me so mad to have to wait! Oh well! Good books are worth the wait I guess!:)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I would love for my kids to want books more than anything! Regardless I give them books every year!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I can't wait for the next book in a series...until I read the book and have to wait a year or more for the next! Then I wished I had waited. I think I'll wait to read 'Maze Runner' until all the books are out. Think James will be okay with that?
    My kids have enjoyed Harry Potter, Fablehaven, FarWorld and Wimpy Kid.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have read many books by Rachel Ann Nunes, and love them all. I am a sixth grade teacher and love reading the popular book series with my students. Some of the popular ones right now are The Hunger Games, Percy Jackson, 39 Clues, Maximum Ride, and Alex Rider. I know there are more but I can't remember right now. I can often get the new book in a series right away through the book orders for free because I save up my teacher bonus points. But sometimes, I cave in and buy the next book in a series at the bookstore.

    ReplyDelete