Our blog has moved!

Dear loyal LDSWBR follower:

Happy News - LDSWBR has a new home! Please come visit us, tell us what you think, and let's talk books. Happy reading!

- Shanda, Sheila, Mindy, and Hillary

You should be automatically redirected in 8 seconds. If not, visit
http://www.ldswomensbookreview.com
and update your bookmarks.

Friday, August 27, 2010

A Date with "Mockingjay"


I am thrilled that I will be reading "Mockingjay" this weekend. I received my copy two days ago and have only read 2 chapters. That does not mean I didn't like the book, it just means I have been super busy. I also have been going to bed A LOT earlier that I used to. Now that my daughter is in middle school, we have to get up earlier, because school starts at 7:30 a.m. I am getting to bed about 2-3 hours earlier than I have been before.

What I want to know, how many of you out there, are also reading "Mockingjay" by Suzanne Collins? This is the third and last book in the series. Maybe we will do a group review of this book in a few weeks. I am almost positive that we all will be reading this book.

That's all for now! Happy Reading!!

4 comments:

  1. Dying to read this!! I will probably be reading it soon, just not this weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sean picked it up Tues. at noon and finished it that night. I started it Wed. night. Stayed up late Wed. and Fri. and finished it Fri. night. Loved it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. So what's your review on this book? I loved (LOVED) the first two. I was agitated and furious when I first finished MJ. I found it to be a dismal story and left me very troubled. As a friend said Collins took us very deeply into the rabbit's hole and didn't fully pull us out again.

    I found it lots most violent than the first two books. I missed the proactive Katniss and grew weary of her helpless angst. I hated where they went with Gale and Mrs. Everdean. The plots were very focused in the first two books, while this one was all over the place. The ending (healing) part seemed very rushed.

    I hated the "vote" because it wasn't clear to me what Katniss was really thinking. Since it's a first person narrative, I think that should have been clear. My son-in-law made a good case for his pov, so I'll believe him, but Collins let me down with her narrative.

    I understand that Collins had already begun the screenplay on the HG film, and the ending of MJ felt like she lost her focus and was just in a hurry to get it finished.

    I've been assured that I will like it better on a second read. Unfortunately I haven't been able to bring myself to do it.

    It's a shame because I really wanted to like this book.

    ReplyDelete
  4. A lot of people we've talked to (as well as a few of us) feel similarly. If nothing else, Suzanne Collins has started a great discussion among her readers, which is something we at LDSWBR love.

    I don't know if I can handle a 2nd read of MJ right now, either. Hopefully we will have a combined LDSWBR review of Mockingjay soon.

    Thank you so much for your comments!

    ReplyDelete